Start Small, Dream Big is a pilot project for primary schools in Plymouth funded by the Department of Education through the Careers and Enterprise Company, and the Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership.
Aims of the project
This project aims to improve outcomes for Plymouth primary students by broadening their horizons, challenging stereotypes and developing aspirations of primary students. This will be completed through:
- Increasing awareness and aspirations amongst primary aged children of the range of jobs and career pathways available to them in the future.
- Decreasing the extent to which stereotypes limit children’s thinking about their future careers.
- Providing children with a forward looking, realistic view of the jobs and the way we work.
- Developing understanding amongst children of the link between what they learn in school, skills and the world of work.
- Increasing parental engagement in supporting children to think broadly about future careers.
What will it involve?
- An assigned Lead Teacher from each school will complete a programme of CPD to support the creation of a whole school careers strategy to embed careers education across the school.
- Participation in baseline and endline evaluations
- Planning for and delivering employer encounters for your pupils to increase their exposure to the world of work